This lesson aims to empower GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums) staff by providing the foundation to support, participate in and begin to undertake in their own right, machine learning-based research and projects with heritage collections.
After attending, learners will be able to:
- Explain and differentiate key terms, phrases, and concepts associated with AI and Machine Learning in GLAM;
- Describe ways in which AI is being innovatively used in the cultural heritage context today;
- Identify what kinds of tasks machine learning models excel at in GLAM applications;
- Identify weaknesses in machine learning models;
- Reflect on ethical implications of applying machine learning to cultural heritage collections and discuss potential mitigation strategies;
- Summarise the practical, technical steps involved in undertaking machine learning projects.
- Identify additional resources on AI and Machine Learning in GLAM.